Wednesday, November 7, 2012

From SoCal to SoKo

"We're moving to South Korea" is a statement I never could have imagined would proceed from my mouth. 
Srsly, Korea? 
I'd like to say I don't know how we got to this juncture, but of course I do. Marc applied for several jobs in his field and this is the one he got! In Pyeongtaek, South Korea, of all places. Why I'm surprised, I don't know, considering the whirlwind of unexpected moves we've had. It all started in San Diego, then Portland, then L.A., then D.C. and now SoKo. Our new address in Korea will be the seventh we've had in just shy of 8 years. Ridonkulous, yes, but all but two of those moves have been pretty much necessary for our family. I want to be home with my boys, which turns out pays nothing, so we're all relying on Marc's income. Thankfully he supports my desire to be home, so we're supporting him - which means we have to follow him around...the world, as it turns out.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE travel. I've traveled extensively in Europe, (which I guess isn't very extensive compared to the whole world) but still. I am happily willing to visit anywhere for a few weeks, but to live there for three years?? Not to mention that Asia has never been high on my list of places to travel to. Truth be told, I've never had much of an interest in or even thought about the culture or language, except for the food, of course. It just hasn't been on my radar. I've always loved the European languages and would be thrilled to have the opportunity to learn any of them. Why couldn't it be a Spanish-speaking country?? After taking so many years of Spanish, in three years I could definitely be bilingual! Gah! Learning a new language in adulthood is difficult enough, but one that you're really not interested in even attempting is near impossible! Oyyy...

I have so many questions swirling around in my brain. How will I get places if I can't read the signs? What will we eat?! There's obviously no Trader Joe's in Korea, so I don't know what I'm going to do about that. Where will Toby go to school? Will I be extremely homesick for the US and hearing English? Do they have a system like 9-1-1 and if so, will the dispatcher even understand what I'm saying? What kind of electrical outets do they have? Will we make friends? I'm sure there is a very simple, positive answer to all of this, but right now it's all so daunting.

Ughhhh, speaking of friends...we're leaving behind a lot of them. Oh man, I was NOT expecting to meet so many great people here. I have no attachment to Virginia, but we scored big time when we blindly selected this neighborhood on Craigslist while living in L.A. Well, the house turned out to be awful, but the neighborhood is a goldmine of terrific people. Our friends/park require their own blog post one of these days.

If I reflect over the past few years and all the places we've lived it seems pretty obvious that each move, which seemed really difficult at the time, has stretched my comfort zone little by little to get me to the point where moving abroad seems like the next logical step. We can't get any farther east from where we started and still be in the USA. I thought moving to L.A. from Portland was going to be awful. Then I thought L.A. to D.C. was a nightmare. So far I've been proven wrong, I've adapted, and even come to like each of the very different places we've lived. I have a (hopeful) feeling that living in Korea will prove to be much better than I think and that our experiences there will turn my neutrality toward Asian culture into deep admiration and appreciation. If nothing else, at least I know they have really great food!

3 comments:

  1. You're on your way! Don't worry, you'll figure it all out. I've figured out most of those things so far and there's virtually no English here (I am blessed with an English-speaking nanny, of course, but she's not with me most of the time). People will probably be fascinated by the gorgeous blonde walking around with her two perfect babies and be very happy to help you out :) Proud of you for making this leap of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pyongtaek is actually pretty English friendly. You will be near two American bases, after all - Osan AB and Camp Humphreys - so it isn't like you will be the only non-Korean around.
    Older Koreans don't generally know much English, and the teenagers know it but tend to giggle more than talk, so your best bet is to seek out a 20-35 year old if you need help. They are taught English in school, and are usually more than willing to help translate.
    Asia never really "called" to me, either, but Korea has proven to be a really great place to live. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. another Holt Family adventure awaits!!! you guys will rock South Korea like it's nobody's business.

    but i must agree with you - no Trader Joes - ouch!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.