Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Itaewan, Insadong, and Samchung

This past weekend we did a mini stay-cay in Seoul. We went up Saturday morning and checked into the Army Lodge at the Yongsan base. Don't get me started on how much nicer this place is than the Lodge we stayed at for almost 3 weeks down here. Just outside the gates is a cute little area called Itaewan. It's an eclectic mix of all kinds of restaurants, including Meditteranean, which I haven't seen since DC. By us it seems like the options are Korean, pizza or Korean. There were lots of little shops covering the hilly area. A Korean guy stopped us and explained that he wants to propose to his girlfriend and could I write something in English on the little white board he was holding. Uhh, sure! So I wrote "I love you. Will you marry me?" He was thrilled! Anything I can do to help ;)
My favorite Korean car - a micro mini-van.
Itaewon
Later on Saturday we met our new friend, Yoonsuh, a native of South Korea, who happened to live in DC for the past six years. We met up with her in Insadong, a trendy, very crowded area for walking and shopping.
Its totally normally for scooters to weave through crowds of people.
She took us to a so-called Templestay. In this case, it was a building across the street from a Buddhist Temple. We walked into a very modern informational/museum area and went up stairs to the restaurant. The monks grow and prepare organic vegetables and the public is invited to eat it for a small fee. What a neat idea! It was simple and delicious.
Kimchi, veggie pancakes, some-kind-of-greens soup, rice, and the wormy things are sesame plants.
On Sunday, we rode the metro (which is super clean and wonderful, except for the lack of elevators with a stroller) to Gyeongbok Palace. The grounds seem to go on forever with large buildings scattered around, each for a different purpose. Supposedly one of the large structures was just for the King's bathroom-doings. The designs on the buildings looked very similar, if not exactly like the designs on the Gakwonsa Temple buildings from my last post. 

The guards don't move and stare straight ahead even with all the tourists taking pictures next to them. And they're all wearing fake beards.

The King's throne!
Part of the palace gardens.
What's this? Just a gaggle of Chinese tourists adoring Toby.
Eermehgeerd! He's blond! Quick get your camera!
Taking turns posing.
wow
Jonah having a pre-nap meltdown. As you can see I'm over it and walking away.
We continued walking through the gardens and finally got both boys to sleep in the stroller. Right outside the back end of the palace walls is an area called Samchung. Its my favorite area so far! I couldn't believe how cute, hip, funky and artsy it is. Every shop and building is adorable. Thank goodness the boys were sleeping so we could stroll along and enjoy the area.
These dogs are the size of baby elephants.
Is he adorable or what? Koreans like to take portraits of their 1-year old boys to show off their, ahem, boyness.

Super-cool Samchung
Lunch with pumpkin porridge, salad and the usual sides.

Stopping for a post-nap treat

Freedom!
Just before we were told to get off the grass. What is grass for if not for sitting, enjoying and running upon??? We took our time getting up.
It was such a nice weekend, mainly thanks to Yoonsuh, but also because everything we saw is such a contrast from where we live. It was a much needed dose of urban culture! Thank you, Yoonsuh! Thanks, Seoul!

























4 comments:

  1. Hey Amy! I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your blog and face book comments. I truly laugh out loud. What an amazing adventure! You are living it with grace and a sense of humor. Keep it up. Love always,
    Barb McRoskey
    P.S. Your boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy to read you've met a new friend who is both familiar with the USA and South Korea - love reading your stories and looking at your pics of food, the characteristics of a different country, and your take on everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barb, Jenni, and Marcie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Great posts, just had to say it first. :) I love reading them. I am glad you are getting used to living in Korea, since you are "stuck" there for a while...

    I just wanted to comment on your last set of pictures. You know, from my experience, America is the only place that actually allows everyone to just walk all over the grass. Actually, it looks like there is grass here for the sole purpose of being walked all over it... :)

    In Romania, there were signs all over of "Do not walk on grass!" I grew up being afraid to go on the grass, always knowing that as soon as I do it, I'll get yelled at, from all directions...

    And I believe, that is generally the rule in Europe. America is the exception on this! :)

    Looking forward to reading more of your adventures!
    God bless,
    Estera Mezera

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.