Doren is 100 days old! Why, you ask, is that significant? Because we're in Korea, that's why. But, first, why the name Bingsu? Well, one evening our family was sharing
patbingsu, a dessert of shaved ice, ice cream, sweetened condensed milk, red beans (trust me, its good) and topped with fruit or whatever flavor they make. It's sweet, it's delicious and it's a cute word so I blurted out, "Baby Bingsu!" Now Doren has a Korean name!
 |
| Various flavors of bingsu |
In Korea, its traditional to celebrate a baby's 100th day because way back when not many babies survived that long due to diseases. So once the baby reaches 100 days old, it's pretty likely they will make it to one year and more. Of course now conditions are significantly better, but there is still a party celebrating the baby's health, the mother's recovery and to introduce the baby to extended family and friends. Until then, babies don't really go out in public. Korean babies are like baby pigeons - we know they exist but no one has ever actually seen one. I don't know how people do it though. I have to get out because of the two older boys. There is no way I could hunker down for three plus months while the big boys drive me crazy indoors. They must get help from the grandparents and family members. So the party is basically a "coming out party" when the baby is big enough and strong enough to be exposed. I've heard of Americans around here having a 100 Day party and even getting the traditional
dol-bok outfit, but, eh, I don't feel like taking the time to organize all of that. Sorry, Bingsu.
 |
| Here's a little cutie in her dol-bok |
We have seen a lot shocked and surprised faces at the sight of Doren and I'm not sure if it's because he's bald and not Korean or if they were disapproving of such a small baby being outside. He
was barely even six pounds a few weeks after birth. And usually when you see a baby he or she is already quite chunky with excellent head control. Koreans like their babies CHUB-EE and I must say its delightful to see so many
adorable chunkers all over the place. I do love the chunks.
 |
| Not even filling out his newborn-size onesie. |
 |
| "Hi! Are you my friend?" (a few weeks old) |
 |
| (Almost three months old) |
 |
| I love baby toe balls |
Bingsu is lucky to have two doting big brothers. Tobin is excellent. He gives him a few kisses throughout the day and entertains him when I have to put him down to do something. No jealousy whatsoever, just love and affection in moderation. Jonah doesn't show any signs of jealousy either, which I'm so grateful for, but OH the violence of his affection! Whenever Doren is accessible to him, either in the bouncy seat or when I'm sitting with him, Jonah becomes
giddy and goofy with adoration. It gets to the point that we have to pull him off the baby. He's not trying to hurt him - he's just so in love that he wants to touch and hug and kiss and squeeze and love him ALL DAY LONG. I'm sure (I hope) this phase will pass...especially when Doren finds his fist and connects it with Jonah's nose.
"I've literally been waiting my whole life to do that!" -Doren.
 |
| "...and call him Bingsu!" |
 |
| Mooshy squooshy |
 |
| Getting to know cousin Claire Anne, who visited us for three weeks |
 |
| On our way home after a fun day at the beach |
 |
| He's so squishy! |
 |
| Admirers everywhere |
 |
| "How YOU doin'?" |
He wakes up every morning with plenty of smiles and
plenty of toots, like a Happy Horn of the East announcing the morning sun. He's a flirt, too, cooing at me with one raised eyebrow and a dimple. He sure has stolen our hearts and we're so happy to have him.
 |
| This is one of my favorites :) |
Happy 100 days, Bingsu! May you live 100 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.