Hi! Here are some pictures from our trip to the Northwest. For anyone on Facebook, this is going to be repetitive, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.
 |
| Here we go! These two did great. |
 |
| Here's me thinking I'm really amazing because I got him to sleep JUST SITTING on the plane on the way to Japan. But the joke was on us (and everyone else on the flight) because he was the exact opposite on the long flight from Japan to Seattle. |
We survived the flight, despite Doren's solid attempts to shatter the airplane windows with his screaming, and arrived safely in Seattle. One of the very first observations I made being back in the US was when Tobin needed to use the bathroom. It was the first time in a long time that I felt anxious about him going into a restroom by himself. That sense of worry about my child around other people in public doesn't come to me in Korea, but it suddenly came rushing back. I feel like he's too old to come into the women's restroom and Marc was
dealing with the luggage somewhere else. I let him go in but I didn't
like it at all. Its been really nice not feeling that feeling while in Korea.
The next thing I noticed happened while we were driving to my in-law's house. I was nodding off in the passenger seat when I woke up to really loud sirens behind us. All the cars moved over so quickly and three or four emergency vehicles blew past us. It was impressive! Korean ambulances always have their lights flashing, even if they're just driving around, but will turn the sirens on in an emergency. We've seen ambulances trying to get through traffic and its kind of a mess and doesn't seem to be taken too seriously. I hope we never need an ambulance, period, but definitely not in Korea.
It was a great feeling to be back in the US, but it wasn't as weird and wild as I thought it would be. It was just like seeing a good friend after a long separation and starting up where we left off, like we were never apart.
 |
| Yay! We're here! One of the first things we did is head to the beach to fly kites... |
 |
| ...and collect rocks and shells. The best part was seeing the boys running free all over the beach and getting dirty. Its been a while since they ran free, as in not on a playground. It was fabulous. |
 |
| Feeling the vitamin D soaking into his bald head. |
 |
| Snuggles with Grandma Carol |
 |
| Getting to know Papa Joe |
 |
| Cousin Addisan was so sweet to read to her students...ahem, cousins. We love her! |
 |
| Tobin and adorable Summer |
An added bonus to making this trip was to see Marc's grandma whose health has failed a great deal since the last time we saw her. Marc went to the States back in January and was able to see his Grandpa who died just four days later. Grandma Min died a few days ago, just two weeks after these pictures were taken. She was one special lady and I just loved her.
 |
| Family and friends took care of her around the clock in her own home. |
 |
| I'm so glad Doren got to meet her. I know seeing him brightened her last few days. |
 |
| We had a nice dinner together until we had to leave because Doren was screaming like a pterodactyl. |
 |
| Jonah is afraid of dogs but really wants one. It was a big thrill to walk with Lucy. |
 |
| Posing with the blossoms |
 |
| More kite-flying and running free |
 |
| I love that smile |
 |
| Mexican food! |
 |
| Playing with Great Uncle Nick |
 |
| They have so much grass! |
 |
| At a really good coffee shop in Port Townsend. Mama like. |
 |
| At our old local playground in Portland |
 |
| At OMSI in Portland. Toby used to play here as a wee tyke! |
 |
| This is pretty accurate |
 |
| Crawling free in the baby section |
 |
| Our first trip back to Trader Joe's and I'm really THAT excited. Don't get me started on how much I love and miss that store. |
 |
| With Uncle Aaron. Doren has perfected the stare-down. |
 |
| omg, Waffle Window. The boys each got a banana, Nutella and whipped cream waffle. I was good and got the veggie one which was still so delicious. But then I also ate half of each of theirs because they couldn't handle it. Pssh |
 |
| We love breakfast! |
 |
| Now with more cousins in Portland. We are so lucky to have them! |
 |
| Officially crawling like a boss |
 |
| They have a whole backyard playground! |
 |
| He LOVED the swing! |
 |
| It was so great to have Easter here |
 |
| So much fun! |
 |
| Clowning around |
 |
| Uncle Justin is so silly! |
 |
| This may not have been exactly legal, but if anyone pulled us over we could just say we're from Korea and didn't know the rules about seat belts. |
 |
| Tree climbin' |
Ok, below is a picture of dark, leafy greens. I had to take it just so I could stare at it longer. The American grocery store on the Army post does its best, poor thing, but we never have anything like this. There is a little box with a small pile of sad, wilted kale and its definitely not organic. I can count on one hand the number of organic products we have available. And Korean markets aren't much better with the greens. I also saw a large section of an aisle devoted entirely to plant milks. I expected to see the almond, rice and soy varieties, but I am so out of the loop because they also had cashew, seven grain and oat milk! What??! Oat milk? Anyway, my point is, walking around these fabulous grocery stores reminded me how much variety and abundance there is in American stores. I admit I'm a little jealous. I feel like it would be a lot easier to make healthier, more interesting meals if I had all these options! And it would be really nice to have the choice of organic produce.
 |
| It's so gorgeous. I can't even. |
 |
| Another thing on our bucket list: Chipotle. So easy! So healthy! Check! |
 |
| At the rental house with my side of the family. Nonny! |
 |
| Breakfast at the kids' table |
 |
| Great Uncle Rick |
 |
| Its always a party with Molls |
 |
| Cousin Lindy. Its so fascinating to look at her because there is such a strong resemblance to my late Grandma Dori. I love this picture! The ruby lips! |
 |
| Love this lady |
 |
| More staring |
 |
| My sister's cute kiddies |
 |
| Playing with Auntie Lisa |
 |
| Cry me a river, Jonah |
On our last morning we woke the boys up at 4:30am to head to the airport
for what was hand's down our most excruciating travel experience so
far. I'm so glad that day is over! The vacation, though, was wonderful. We
packed in as many people and experiences as we could in the time we had. It was a nice
break from Korea, but it was also nice to get back home. Home is
wherever we are!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.