Like most of my posts so far, this one has nothing to do with Korea, but earlier I said I needed to dedicate at least one post to my neighbors/neighborhood. Saturday night we had a gathering at our apartment to say goodbye to as many of our neighbor friends that could come. Once everyone had arrived, I realized that maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. Not because it was so crowded, not because of all the kids running crazy, not because of the toys, food, and, yes, paint, all over the place but
precisely for all of those reasons. I am going to miss this SO much and it made me pretty sad. The sadness didn't stay long though because I was having such a great time. I love a full house, I love the kids running around and its the only time that I could care less about how messy it gets. We have the BEST neighbors and as long as everyone is gathered and having fun, I can deal with the stains and disarray later. I have met more down-to-earth, cool, generous, wonderful people in 4 blocks than I have met in the last 8 years combined. That's not to say I don't
love my other friends around the country and world, but I never expected to meet such a high concentration of terrific people in one year and in such a small area.
 |
| Less than half of the neighbors I invited were able to come :( |
 |
| I can only imagine how fun/crazy it would have been if everyone came! |
 |
| What's left of Toby's room (its not her fault) |
It all started at the park. Oh that park! The park in my neighborhood is hidden in a corner and for the most part, the only people who go there also live here, so you end up seeing the same people all the time. I took Toby there every single day at least once, if not twice, so it didn't take long before we met lots of kids and parents. There must be something about the transitory nature of the D.C. area, and the fact that no one is actually from here, because everyone is so nice and eager to make friends. I went to the same park everyday in Pasadena and hardly anyone ever spoke to each other! But here, our visits to the park turned into hours, entire afternoons, parties, picnics, birthdays and wonderful friendships for Tobin and our family.
 |
| Easter Egg Hunt at the park |
 |
| Just a few folks out for a summer picnic |
 |
| Stalking Tobin's birthday cake |
 |
| Chasing Tobin with a water balloon at another park picnic |
|
In the "glory days" from spring through fall, we would get out to the park around 9:30 and then again around 4:00. Toby would always get there before me because he was on his bike. While I was still half a block away I could hear the heart-warming calls of parents and his (several) 2- and 3-year old friends and admirers who were excited to see him. I have to say, Toby was kind of the big man on campus at this park. Quite the popular one with girls and boys. "Toby!" "Tobeeeeeeee!" "TOBAYYY!" they would squeal. One little doll called him "Tony" for the longest time. Jonah and I would eventually get there and wave at all the other moms, dads and nannies. It was like the Cheers Bar. Everyone knew our name and as long as someone else was there we were guaranteed a good time and a long stay. At one point Toby's circle of friends grew to about 12 to 15 kids. At any given time, five or six of them would run in a pack and play HARD - loosely monitored and totally unstructured. There was only one way out and it was on the opposite end so they were free to climb the dirt hill and make "campfires" and "pizzas" and run around on the large grass area. Do you how freeing it is to know that your child is playing in a huge, but enclosed, area with friends while you've been chatting with other adults and then suddenly realize that 10 minutes have gone by and you haven't even noticed your child? I knew he was fine so I was able to let my guard down and just let him and myself have fun! We looked out for each other's kids. My circle of friends also grew and 4:00-6:00 at the park turned into Social Hour. It was fantastic! All we were missing were belly bar tables and a DJ.
 |
| Brothers and sisters |
 |
| Jonah hangin' with his best pal | | | | |
| | |
|
|
|
There
are too many names to name, but I think you know who you are. I
appreciate you for your friendship, easiness, comedy, generosity and
help raising my boys in our little village. I really love you all and
I'll miss not being at the get-togethers in 2013. You're making it really hard to leave! XOXO
 |
| Some of my lovely ladies. I wish we had a picture with everyone! |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.