Before arriving here, we assumed we would want to live in an apartment tower. That's what we had in Alexandria and it was great. We had a front desk person 24/7, a pool, a gym and a media room. We figured it would be nice to have some extra amenities like that and be able to talk with someone in the lobby if we had questions. And also proximity to stuff we could walk to. It quickly became evident, however, that that's not how apartment towers are here, or at least the ones we saw. There are no lobbies for one thing. Just an elevator up to your floor shared with one other unit. One thing we noticed is that common areas are not heated. This is something I took for granted in the States - as soon as you walk into a building, its warm. But here, the entries and elevators are just as cold as outside. Its understandably a waste of energy to heat a space that no one lives in, but it did make the buildings feel a bit more austere. Bbbbbut...as soon as we walked inside we were amazed! The apartments we saw were HUGE. We're used to a little two-bedroom apartment and being able to see everything while standing in one place. But when we walked in, one huge space would open into another huge space and it just kept going! There were so many rooms and the kitchens were enormous! I'm used to about 3-square feet of counter space so my jaw was mostly on the floor. Everything was super high-tech, too. The front doors were like vault doors in a bank and opened with a code instead of a key. The lights and temperature are controlled by a computer screen on the wall. At one point Toby had to go to the bathroom and I had to guess how to flush the toilet! There was a remote control (wish I took a picture) with several buttons, all in Korean. I later found out that it also has a built-in bidet. The tubs, showers, closets, floors, and super modern kitchens - everything - was very nice.
We also noticed some characteristics that we're not used to. In Korean homes everyone immediately takes their shoes off upon entering, which is a great habit. So the entry way is a little lower than the rest of the floor, presumably to keep dirt by the door. There is about a 2 inch step up to the main floor. Then it goes down again into a bedroom. The threshold into the laundry room goes up 4 inches and back down. Basically there were tripping hazards (and vacuuming nightmares) all over the place. One apartment had a raised platform where families can sit around a low table for tea or dinner. It was a great jumping-off platform for the boys, but otherwise I'm not sure how we would use it. In a couple of the apartments, there was a second stove in an enclosed patio for cooking "stinky things". Linda, who told us that Jonah means "phone" in Korean, also told us that Koreans like a home to be pre-decorated because its considered more deluxe. When I say pre-decorated, I mean pre-deck-o-ray-ted. Think Mr. Miyagi's Dojo meets Marie Antoinette meets The Jetsons. Once we got over the excitement about the size of these places, we started to picture ourselves actually living in them. I'm no interior designer, but I'm pretty sure our Ikea furniture and colorful abstract paintings would look horrific against burgundy and gold floral wallpaper. Am I right? These places were over the top (again, really wish I took more pictures) with huge, billowing draperies over every window, ornate chandeliers, gold stenciling and busy floral wallpaper. Its wallpaper, wallpaper, wallpaper on every single wall and flowers, flowers, flowers all over the place.
Just a little side note -- I was changing Jonah's diaper in a restroom and noticed a little trashcan with a, guess what, floral design. It said, When you are in love, you love the flower. Hmm. If you say so.
![]() |
| Slippers provided for walking around the home. |
![]() |
| Blue lights down a hallway of sliding rice paper doors. |
![]() |
| I'm sure these are very nice drapes, but they're just not me. And these are some of the more subdued that we saw. |
![]() |
| Painted wavy bricks. What's not to love? |
This is a very long way of saying that we finally saw a single-family home that we REALLY liked. When we walked in the first thing I thought was...Hallelujah! NO WALLPAPER. Well, actually I was wrong. Its covered in wallpaper but it was all nicely neutral. No big drapes, no busy patterns, no blue lights and no mini-multi-level flooring. Its plain and simple and modern. The only downfall (and that's a horrible pun) is that there are two flights of stairs. Wood stairs. Stairs give me nightmares. At any moment, one of us could take a dive down a set of very hard, slippery stairs. BUT, I said to myself, lots of people have stairs and somehow survive them. After thinking about it for a few days, we decided that this is the place we could see ourselves feeling the most comfortable in for the three years we're here. Its totally not what I would have thought we'd pick. It looks like a regular Western suburban home, which, back in the US, we're not at all interested in. But, somehow, being in Korea, it feels the most "comforting". The other places we saw were just too traditionally Korean. We're already living in rural Korea for Pete's sake, so I don't feel like everything about our life, including our home, has to be all up-in-our-grills Korean, you know? A little piece of America won't hurt the overall experience! It's definitely an anomaly compared to everything else in this area. Here it is...
![]() |
| It ends where the car is. That's another house on the right. |
![]() |
| The kitchen. And Phone. |
![]() |
| Master bath. Wowie. |
I couldn't completely get away with no floral designs. Here's the fridge...
![]() |
| Its bedazzled! Those little dots are rhinestones. I'm serious! |
![]() |
| Marc made me. |









*like* ... but then - - I like(s) flowers mucho grande! ...and Mr. Mijagi... ... ...and The Jetsons. ((NOT the cold tho). ...thanks for sharing!!!!
ReplyDeleteMiyagi...
Delete...so.
...if I ever hit the jackpot I'm comin' to visit then. If I weren't autoimmune with a job that varies hours I'd be travelin' the world in the Peace Corps if not visiting you right now!
I'm so jealous! Which is ridiculous, because our three bedroom, 1.5 bathroom apartment already feels luxurious. I can't imagine FOUR bathrooms! You can probably order something to make the stairs less treacherous. And hire a maid, lady! You deserve that in addition to your great big house. And have I mentioned I love your car?
ReplyDelete