I think winter is probably the worst time to come here. Its so BLEAK. And it's way colder than DC, which, for me, was pretty darn cold. The hotel is quite nice, but it only has one room. So Toby goes down for a nap on the bed, then I do the nap time routine with Jonah and put him in the portacrib in the living room area, then, lest he see me, I hide out in the bathroom until I'm sure he's asleep. Thankfully, we got new phones, so I've been spending a lot of quality time sitting on the pot (pants on, thank you - mostly) reading emails and scrolling through Facebook. It feels great to have a 21st-century phone again after losing my iPhone several weeks ago. Still sad about that. Where is that phone??? And, thanks to the boys, we're still not quite used to the time change. The boys get up around 4am, which means we all have to and then they're ready for a nap by 10am, right when stuff to do starts. And then because they nap so early, they are ready to crash by 5pm. And the cycle continues...When a kid is desperate for sleep, there ain't much you can do to stop it. It seems like every time we go out, one or both is crying and hanging all over me. Just another loud, obnoxious American family!!
Anyway, this Army Garrison that we're temporarily living on was built by the Japanese 60 or so years ago. The buildings are nondescript and really ugly. I have zero sense of direction so its going to take me a long while to figure out where everything is when each building looks exactly the same! There's just a lot of uniformed Army folks walking around, trucks, tanks, helicopters and taxis, which we've been relying on for transportation. The taxis, that is. Thank goodness they're super cheap. Its too cold and far to walk, especially with kids, so its been a lot of piling in, buckling belts/car seat, ride for 3 minutes, unbuckle, and heave ourselves out over and over. Of course with boots, coats, gloves, hats, snacks and stroller.
![]() |
| The Army Lodge |
![]() |
| Thank goo-niz there is a Starbucks in this place! |
Since we couldn't buy any groceries until today we've eaten out a few times. The first night we went to a Chinese place. We ordered noodle soup for ourselves and some dumplings for the boys. Marc got some super spicy soup and I ordered vegetable beef noodle soup. It had vegetables and beef in it, but it also contained the entire (dead) cast of Finding Nemo. I specifically did not order one of the seafood soups for this very reason. This is the second time of ordering non-seafood food only to find tentacles sticking out and slimy other-things bobbing around. I like lobster and fish but not all that other stuff. I was so turned off, I couldn't touch it.
![]() |
| Eating an unidentified pickled vegetable |
![]() |
| The one second that Jonah wasn't crying during this meal |
![]() |
| Garlicky spinach, marinated onions, kimchi, tofu, potato salad and bulgogi. |
| A nice break |





I wish you could hear how I scream with laughter when I get to read one of your posts. Thank goodness we can see your precious faces with photos, and I feel like I can hear your voice like you were sitting right next to me when I get to read about all the adventure and drama you've had so far! Thank goodness you can now get to the commissary, no, I didn't know the SOLE purpose of the base/installation was for that (how interesting!) and thank goodness for the pool! And three cheers for vegetarianism, haha! :-) I bet Marc is getting his fill and opportunity for spicy foods, yes? We miss you terribly, Levi wants to walk to Korea, and while it's so hard that you're not here, you are embarking on something amazing! The weather will only improve, can you visit the pool every day?? What's your skype info? Miss you!!
ReplyDeleteThe pickled veg you're eating is a daikon radish. It's ubiquitous here. So glad you're getting settled. The restaurant issue was one that was very difficult to navigate at first. You may want to try finding a juk restaurant. Juk is a rice porridge and it comes in various flavors. Some with tentacles, and some without! I like the curry one. Oh, and keep drinking the soju. It makes everything taste better! ;)
ReplyDeleteAs for the weather, I think this is the coldest winter on record for a long time. Trust me, Korea in the spring and summer are absolutely gorgeous. Like nowhere I've ever been. Hang on for just a couple more months!
Wow, what an adventure! So proud of you figuring ALL of this out with two little men... If I ever need a seriously intense diet, I'll come.for a visit... I don't think Is eat anything that didn't come from the Starbucks :)
ReplyDeleteReading thru this post I felt trapped with you in the bathroom, "safe" but trapped. Reading your text on the food, I agonized right along with you too... viewing the pics, I'm glad to see you've found some vegetables even if they are rare while you are out to eat, and found a pool to escape to, granted you probably never have "alone time" beyond the bathroom right now but... I'm thinking of you, feel for you, and I'm sure blessings are waiting around the corner once you're settled better... right now is just a trying time, which I'm sure you tell yourself a lot. **hugs**
ReplyDelete